Upon entering our office, you will be welcomed as a member of our family. In order to get your visit started quickly and smoothly, we ask that you bring the following pieces of information with you:
- Please print and complete the new patient forms.
- If you have insurance, please bring your insurance card with you. We will do our best to learn and explain what your insurance benefits for chiropractic care are before you see the chiropractor, including any copay, coinsurance, or deductable obligation you may have.
- Any relevant documents such as medication lists, or recent X-rays or MRIs.
- If you were injured in an auto accident or at work and are filing a claim, please contact our office to learn what forms you should bring with you. 616-523-6472
Next, you will have a consultation with the Chiropractor to discuss your health-related problems, concerns, and any questions you may have. This initial visit is designed for Dr. Anna Johnson to learn more about you, your condition, and expectations to determine how chiropractic care can meet your goals.
After your consultation, Dr. Anna Johnson will perform a complete chiropractic examination testing the movement and function of your spine. Other standard neurological, orthopedic, postural, and physical tests may be performed as well. However, nothing will be done in our office without your consent.
Depending on your specific condition, we may refer you for X-rays as well. X-rays are ordered when the chiropractor needs more information to determine the most effective treatment plan for you, and alert us of any serious spinal conditions. We do not take X-rays at our office, and typically we will refer you to Ionia Sparrow Radiology, or the radiology suite convenient to you.
Report of Findings
Once the information is collected and examinations are performed, Dr. Anna Johnson will give you a detailed report of all findings and answer any questions including:
- What is causing my condition?
- What treatments are available to me?
- How many visits and how long will it take to get better?
After reviewing your health history, goals, and examining your spine and X-rays, Dr. Anna Johnson will discuss recommendations and notify you if your condition requires care with other providers. Dr. Anna Johnson will provide the best evidence-based treatment for your needs.
At the conclusion of this initial appointment, unless otherwise indicated, Dr. Anna Johnson will typically offer your first treatment. Many patients experience significant relief after just one treatment.
Home Care and Wellness Plan
Prior to leaving, the doctor will suggest home care to incorporate outside of treatment. If you are in pain when you first come into our office this may include: ice or heat application instructions, certain activities or positions to avoid, and at home exercises and/or stretches.
If you desire, our team will work with you to design a Wellness Plan to create healthy habits and routines for your lifestyle. Every person is unique, therefore everyone requires a customized wellness plan. The purpose of our wellness program is for you to achieve a healthy spine, have a healthy diet, exercise, and maintain a positive mental state.